Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Intellectual Freedom: what it means to me.

I was first introduced to the concept of intellectual freedom in a collection development class. I immediately fell in love with the idea that as a librarian, I would defend the right of my patrons' to read, access, or research any topic they wish. Defend their right to read whatever they wish despite the objections from others who find certain materials offensive.

Intellectual freedom is a right given to the people by the First Amendment to the Constitution. The freedom of press directly correlates with the right to read. We as librarians should stand by and champion this idea. That no matter how offensive or vulgar a book or idea is, library patron still has the right to access, or read about any topic they choose.

Intellectual freedom is most often challenged in the form of a book ban. This is most popular in school libraries, but does happen in public libraries as well. Books are challenged in school libraries because someone feels that the children should not read the material due to sex, violence, drugs, anti moral or other reasons. Many feel that children are a protected group that needs to be shielded against these ideas.

However it is the job of the school librarian to defend a students first amendment right to read, which is in danger of being denied through a book ban.

I have always been a person who like to stand up for the rights of others, to help those in need, and find that this new understanding of intellectual freedom gives me a cause to fight for.  This social minded part of me is really excited by this. I feel like I should put on a wonder women type costume with IF written across the chest.  It's a bird,  It's a plane, no it's Intellectual Freedom Girl!  Leaping over bookcases while shouting, "Coming to libraries near you, defending your right to read."

No comments:

Post a Comment