As I pack for my trip to Greece, I realize how lucky we Americans have it. We have certain rights and freedoms that others don't . Take China for example civil rights and free speech is unheard of there. The right to freedom of expression is just a dream. Intellectual freedom is just as elusive . Just try google searching The color purple in China. What do you think would come up? Probably not much, because Google agreed to censor. Now google is reporting that they will not censor any more and China now says that google is no longer welcome.
This upcoming trip has made me reflect on the intellectual freedoms that we have. Most of us don't even realize that we have these rights. They think that censorship is something that happens when a person is not allowed to say what they want. Most of the general public only experience with censorship would be Tipper Gores taking on To Live Crew in the 1990's. At least that is the only case that comes to my mind. But censorship is so much more than that. Censorship is not allowing Chinese citizen the right to search or seek knowledge on any subject. Censorship is denying kids the right to read a book because you find it offensive.
During my travels I am going to make it a point to take in the culture and attitudes of others. But also make it a point to reflect on the rights and freedoms I have.
No comments:
Post a Comment