Sunday, October 23, 2011

Internship Vs. the Prison job :)

I was re-evaluating my internship and the prison job lately in terms of what the program stands for and the goals of the program. I started this internship with the goal to figure out which career path was right for me. I was leaning towards working as a children's or young adult librarian or working in a correctional library. I wanted to use this opportunity to discover which area I liked working in. So for this blog I was going to give a midterm evaluation of what it is that I do at each library, how this incorporated leadership and what I enjoy or dislike about each position.  

At Greenwood Public Library I am a interning in the Children's Services Department. I am the Children's Services Programming Assistant. I help the librarians prepare for the programs that they give. This means that I organize the materials for the program, collect books that are related to the program, and assist when need during a programs. Create read alike book list, and facilitate the Furry Friends Program every Thursday night.I also cover the children's department reference desk on Sundays. I help locate books for patrons and provide reader adivsory. 

Furry Friends is a great program that promotes early literacy with reluctant readers. Furry Friends are therapy dogs that enjoy when kids read to them. Each Thursday I have a list of kids who sign up to read to Ralphy a beagle-corgi mix, Kali a beautiful Golden Retriever and Emmy and Gretchen two mixed breed dogs. After reading for the 15 minutes that the kids are allowed they create a craft and get to pick a prize. It has been fun and a bit challenging to keep everyone on schedule and keep an eye on the craft at the same time.

I think that the most enjoyable part is hearing from the parents and kids about how much the kids enjoy reading to the dog. Most of our readers are struggling and this program offers the kids a no judgement zone where they can read aloud.

      
Greenwood Children's department has a lot of programs, Their are several different story times for different ages, bookmaking clubs, American girls club, painting program and my favorite program furry friends. Furry Friends is a program that helps increase literacy skills. Trained therapy dogs are brought in and children are encouraged to pick out a book and read to the dogs. I run this program on Thursday nights. The kids come in and read to dogs, finish a craft project and pick a prize. Running this program has been a lot of fun and it has helped to increase literacy with the patrons we help.

At Greenwood Public Library I feel that when I interact with the kids in the program I am promoting early literacy skills and I am also mindful to be a good role model. I  believe that the kids are looking up to us and that I can enhance my leadership skills by providing the kids with a good role model. In the last program that I  assisted in I was helping with a painting class and remember talking with the kids about our favorite books and which ones they liked. I encouraged some of them to venture out of their comfort zone and try some more difficult books.

At my full time job I am the only staff member in the library. My job consist of getting the inmates into the library and assisting them with law library reference question, helping with legal research and organizing the collection of fiction and non fiction materials.

I started working at Marion County Jail II in August. Since then I have put the fiction books in alphabetical order by author last name, organized the non-ficiton section into genres and I am currently getting ready to begin catalog the books with KOHA.

I find that I am more drawn to correctional libraries at this point. I find that work more rewarding. I wonder if I would find working in a children's department more rewarding if it were my full time job and I was allowed more responsibility. At Marion County Jail II(MCJII) I will begin the process of starting a book club with the help of the Indiana State Library (who will provide us with study guides). I am excited for this opprunity to introduce classic literature to the inmates.

I find that at MCJII I have more opportunities for leadership. I took the initiative to chose KOHA and introduced the idea to my boss. My boss was more than excited about the idea and provided me with cataloging supplies. I also have activitly located free books and potential donors for the library. Since my employment the library collection has grown by 524 books. I have taking on the added irresponsibility of offer classes at the library and we currently have a wait list of inmates who are interested in attending classes. The library offers a legal research class taught by LexisNexis representatives and a "living violence free" class taught by Lucia Sheenan.     http://livingviolencefree.org/about.html .
 
In looking back over my internship at this point I believe that my leadership skills have improved and this opportunity has allowed my to strength the skills I had before taking the class. I feel more empowered to state my opinion or  offer suggestion to patrons, co-workers, and supervisors.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment