a new trend has popped up in the professional world and that is e-mentoring. E-mentoring takes the place of the traditional role of mentor and protege. Everything is online and the traditional workplace mentorship does not take place. Guidance is provided via email or chat room. In an article by Hilburn entitled "E-mentoring for librarians and libraries" the new role is examined.
I believe that I would not venture down this path if I was looking for a mentor. I believe that one key component of the relationship is left out when it comes to E-mentoring. That component is the power of observation. When a protege is able to observe a mentor in the workplace they have an advantage over the e-menotring. Through observation you are able to observe the person in the work place and how they care themselves, how they interact with others and how they supervise their employees. I think that e-mentoring would best be suited for those who live some distance away, but is not a good solution to the traditional role of mentorship.
Hilbun, J., et. al. E-Mentoring for Librarians and Libraries. Texas Library Journal v. 83 no. 1 (Spring 2007) p. 28-32.
I believe that I would not venture down this path if I was looking for a mentor. I believe that one key component of the relationship is left out when it comes to E-mentoring. That component is the power of observation. When a protege is able to observe a mentor in the workplace they have an advantage over the e-menotring. Through observation you are able to observe the person in the work place and how they care themselves, how they interact with others and how they supervise their employees. I think that e-mentoring would best be suited for those who live some distance away, but is not a good solution to the traditional role of mentorship.
Hilbun, J., et. al. E-Mentoring for Librarians and Libraries. Texas Library Journal v. 83 no. 1 (Spring 2007) p. 28-32.
No comments:
Post a Comment